Friday, October 21, 2011

Keys


Keys. By definition: something that affords a means of access; something that secures or controls entrance to a place. 

Every now and then, on this journey, someone hands me a key. I never know where the key will come from; I usually don’t seek it out. And most of the time, I don’t even know I should be looking for one. Allow me to mix my metaphors. It’s as if I started out in complete and total darkness, and each time I open a new door, there is a very little bit of light, like dawn easing in over the horizon, almost imperceptible. Because the little bit of light is such an improvement over absolute darkness, I have no frame of reference for greater light still. There is a sense that I’ve opened all possible doors and now it’s just a matter of walking forward, but I’ve thought that before, only to be handed another key and in an instant, be walking in more light.

Keys are of great importance in the Bible. Isaiah says, “And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.” Then, this prophecy is stated again in Revelation, “he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.” Christ proclaims, “I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.” And, “And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven.” Yes, the right key can make all the difference.

Truly in my life, especially in the last few months, the right keys have been invaluable. Doors that have been locked for years, bolted shut, are suddenly open, casting new light on the path I must walk. With each open door, the path becomes more difficult. But now I can see some of the obstacles.

I know I'm being vague, all this talk of keys and paths and dawning light. There are things better left unsaid for now. But, in God's timing, when the last door is thrown open and I am greeted by the brilliant light of the sun at it's highest point, I will testify to the glory of God of the darkest moments I've ever known. I will have the keys of the kingdom of heaven, just as Jesus promised. So by faith, I move forward today.

No comments:

Post a Comment